Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Zoo extravaganza

Let's be honest, going to zoo's is not typically my thing.  If you've seen a bear, zebra or camel - you've pretty much seen one, right?!?   Well, in the last year I have been to TWO new zoo's.  Yes, you read that right - two new zoo's; Garden City, Kansas and Portland, Oregon. 

Garden City's zoo is pretty amazing, especially considering it's free.  Not only that, but they had a really fun park on one end my sister's and I got carried away playing with one of the contraptions. . . .let's just say, my youngest sister ended up laughing so hard, she lost her balance and fell.  Oh, how I wish I would have had a camera.  It was classic!

The Portland zoo is incredible as well (which is saying something since I don't really love zoo's).  They recently added an entire 'wing' to the zoo.  If a person were to go through the entire Portland zoo, it would take well over a day.  The place is gi-normous!  Here are a few pictures of our excursion to the zoo. 


 Checking out the brown bears in their new habitat below.

Hmmm. . . can't remember what we were reading here; I think it was listening to different bird calls.

The Portland zoo actually has not 1, but 2 bald eagles.  Pretty cool, huh!

Waterfalls, in Oregon - craziness, right?!? 

Where there are waterfalls, lots of rain and children - puddle jumping is bound to be part of the day's activities.

'Everyone was kung-fu fighting' :)




Can I just say, Erin is a rockstar?  She got us all tickets on the train, which we enjoyed while nibbling on the tasty snacks she brought for everyone too.  Thanks, Erin!


This was a nifty exhibit where you could go up inside one of the animal exhibits. 

Have you ever had an elephant ear?  I hadn't either . . . until the Portland zoo.  Scone+cinnamon+sugar = lots 'o fatty goodness!

1 comment:

  1. Yes!! Elephant ears are so delish:) You are such a world traveller. I must admit I'm fighting back a little jealousy;) Keep up all these great posts so I can live vicariously through you!!!

    ReplyDelete