Sunday, March 20, 2011

Gettysburg and patriotism

My brother-in-laws sister and her husband took us on an evening tour of the monuments in DC.  Despite none of my pictures turning out very well, I still wanted to post this one.  This monument stirs all kinds of emotions in me for various reasons.  It reminds me of my grandpa who served in the Marine Corps during WWII and witnessed the American flag raised at Iwo Jima; it deepens the sense of patriotism my father instilled in me as a youth;  and it intensifies my gratitude for the sacrifice and courage of others in defending liberty.


Growing up, my parents worked to instill a love of the gospel and a love of country in each of my siblings and I. As such, one of the place we visited growing up was Gettysburg.  

Since I was last at Gettysburg, they now have an amazing museum.  Dan and I were both fascinated at the amount of information and artifacts exhibited there.  They also had a 360 degree mural from floor to ceiling depicting the battle of Gettysburg, that (if I remember correctly) was painted shortly after the war.  Near the end of the museum at Gettysburg, I saw this quote.  It's poignancy caused me to reflect on why I am drawn to some of the places I love. . . and it resonated with me.



Dan humoring me and letting me take his picture with Abe.




 Such a perfect picture set-up - I couldn't pass it up :)


We really enjoyed touring the battlefield.  Dan liked the view from Seminary Ridge the best (forgot the camera there) and I have always loved Little Round Top (where the two pictures below were both taken). 

In our apartment hangs a picture which depicts Colonel Chamberlain's bayonet charge at the end of a grueling day of battle.  On the second day of battle at Gettysburg, Chamberlain's men were the flank of the Union army, positioned at Little Round Top.  Holding their position that day, was crucial in maintaining the high ground, for if they retreated, the Confederates could have easily overrun the Union Army.  Realizing how vital a position they held, when ammunition became scarce, Chamberlain ordered a bayonet charge. It's a scene in the movie that, again, makes me grateful for the sacrifice and courage of others in defending liberty.

 Looking out at the battleground of Little Round Top.

Imagining what the sharp-shooters must have seen. 

No comments:

Post a Comment